Hello Dolly!!!

The day before a hurricane is when we probably should have been preparing to ride out our first hurricane, but we loaded up the truck with food, canned goods, pasta, and fresh tortillas and headed for the colonia in Reynosa. I wondered if people there knew that a huge storm was coming their way and tomorrow will be another test of their make shift homes with dirt floors. We headed for the end of the colonia to hand out the food we brought, because they don't get the blessings that the people in the front usually do. We handed out hundreds of cans of food, and those fresh tortillas they love. We stopped and met a family of 8 living in a 10 foot by 10 foot house. They only have one full size bed, where 4 of them sleep the rest sleep on the dirt floor. They had no food and no hope. We gave them all the rest of the food we had and as Raul shared Christ with them Paula and I decided that this family will receive the next home we build. We have two other families that will receive homes as well. The rains are really coming down now and I'm sure our friends in the colonia are not as sheltered as we are in our nice brick home. I almost feel guilty! We left our passenger van in the colonia in case our friends need to flee the storm. I told them to pack up as many as could fit and head for shelter. Me, Raul, Beto, Carmelo, and Eliazar had a short bible study last night, prayed for a while, and then ate dinner before we came home. Please pray for the people in the colonia. I'm going there tomorrow if I can get thru the mud. Paula spoke to Carmelo today at about 3 pm. They could hardly hear on the phone, because the rain pelting the tin roof made so much noise, but they said they were OK. We sprung a couple leaks in our house and I'm watching the shingles on my neighbors house flap in the wind. I'm sure they won't last till tommorrow.

No comments: