ALMOST HOME

As I write this, we are only 450 miles from home.Another night in a  KOA campground where Paula, Alan, Lynnea and I can enjoy a hot shower and a good nights sleep with the R.V. sitting still. What a wonderful trip we have had. Over 3500 miles in six days, 7 national parks and some of the most spectacular scenery along the way. We started by visiting Joe and Barb Warner for a few days in Onida South Dakota. Dow and Cindy Warner were there as well as they were saying goodbye to family for a year stint in China teaching English. We walked the fields of pinto beans Joe and Barb are growing and pulled a few tares growing in with the beans. The wheat fields were golden and ready for harvest and we rode in the combine for a few passes. Tuesday we left Joe and Barbs and headed for the Badlands National Park. A stop at Wall Drug, followed by a visit to Mount Rushmore Wow! We ran into several people from our church in Illinois at the Park, Divine connection? We took several photos and met them for supper in Custer South Dakota. We had some great laughs at dinner and thanks Rick and Sue for blessing us with a great elk tenderloin meal. I gave all the guys a Cuban cigar before they roared into the night aboard their Harleys. I have to admit, I was a little jealous as they drove away. We drove through the night and toured all of Yellowstone National Park in one day. We missed a few sights but saw the majors. We slept in Jackson Hole and awoke to the majesty of the Grand Teton Mountain Range, my all time favorite Park. Did I mention the fact that in Yellowstone I pulled into a camp ground to try and find a spot to camp, only to be caught in a really small area with only my blind side to back out into, and I jackknifed Alans trailer into the R.V. and did a little damage? Well I did! Big Bummer. Out of Jackson Hole and through Wyoming and into Colorado. Half way up the mountains outside of Denver to a Campground way way up in the mountains and up very steep terrain. I lost my Salvation for a little while, as the stress on me and the R.V. s motor got the better of me. Our daughter Kelley drove from her place to where we were and we shared a pizza and a few laughs over my issues that evening. Praise God the ole R.V. was up for all the abuse we have thrown at her this week and Praise God Paula, Alan and Lynnea forgave my fleshey attitude and godless chatter. Friday morning we headed down toward Denver and headed for Pikes Peak, only this time we took the train to the summit and not the R.V. 30 degrees on top and some spectacular views on the ride up as well as on the summit, when the clouds would afford us a small peak at the mountains. Many Many things crossed off of the bucket list this week for all of us. Thanks for the prayers as we travel and we are so looking forward to getting back to our REAL LIFE as missionaries.   Paula will post photos when we get home or you can see some on her facebook page. 

No comments: