SERVE OR BE SERVED, THAT IS THE QUESTION

   When all is said and done, we will all stand before the Lord one day and give an account of everything we did with our life. Every dollar spent will be evaluated , every idle word we spoke will be made known, every opportunity to give, to pray, to love, to forgive, to serve, to read our Bible, to make a difference in someone's life .
    Friday I made the choice to drive 980 miles to Solomon Kansas to serve along side of the One Family One Purpose house build for a family thar lost their house in an F4 tornado last May . I wanted to bring something , so I bought 180 tamales and headed north at 5:30 pm. I drove through the night in the pouring rain and arrived at the build about 9:30.
    As I pulled up to the site, you can see the destruction . Huge trees bent and broken lined the property, with wind driven debris still clinging to the branches. I was welcomed by all who saw me walking up the driveway. It was cold and drizzling as I walked outside around greeting those I knew I was amazed at the progress. After 5 days, the house was done outside, walls, siding, roof, Windows. Inside the heat was running and many volunteers were busy hanging drywall, taping, mudding, the insulation machine whining as it blew insulation into the attic. What a flurry of activity.
   I jump right into rolling out tape on seams, forgetting that I have been awake for 30 hours and drove 16 hours to be here. Most of the people there have been down to Mexico on Mission with us, so I love to help on their projects when I can, if only for a day. By days end all the drywall was done, insulation done, floors all covered to get ready for painting.
    I  followed the group to thier base camp where they had been living for the last week. The women had a great meal prepared , and afterwards we had a devotion time about thankfulness , gratitude, and our attitude about it. A great time joining other believers serving and loving God and people. I finally got to blow up my bed and settle in for much needed sleep . We attended church in Abilene , returned to camp for lunch and then I took off for another 960 mile drive.
    So I drove almost 2000 miles in two and a half days and served alongside of a group of people that live to serve, live to give, and live to love others in need for only 8 hours of actual work and I  ask myself , was all that driving  worth it for only 8 hours of work? ABSOLUTELY !!!!!






No comments: