FROM NICKY SMITS POINT OF VIEW

After a twenty four hour drive down to mexico we got started right away on building our house. Being my first time as an adult I was a little lost as to where I should start, but in two days I found many places where my help was needed and the house went up. Come monday the ladies went in to make this four sided shack into a livable home. While the ladies worked, we went to the next site to start (and as it turned out, finish) the entire next home. The dedication was without a doubt the most thought provoking experience of the trip; the owners cryed with praises and thanks to God for this new house. What really hit me was that to me this is just a week long trip, then I go home and continue to live my life of ease in chicago, but to this family, and to the entire population of the colonia, this is their life. They will be there every day living in the shack we call a home. It isn't much but they were so grateful for it. They continued to thank me and the group for building them a house when in reality I'd like to thank them for allowing me to see God in a different way: to see his love, faith, and hope in their lives.

No comments: