MAKING MEMORIES ON CHRISTMAS DAY

Paula and I awoke yesterday to cold noses and ears, as the temperature dropped to 40 degrees in the colonia. No heat, but plenty of blankets and body heat kept us comfy, but someone had to get up and start the coffee, and we knew Mimi and Caleb would be knocking at the door soon. I did it! But man it was cold. Cold pants, cold shirt and socks, I should have done the old boy scout trick and put my clothes under the covers as I slept. I also started the propane heater before jumping back into bed where I could snuggle with Paula. Soon the kids were at the door and we started getting things ready for our 2nd annual Christmas breakfast gift to the colonia. Last year pancakes, this year tamales. Personally I like the pancakes and bacon, but Mexican tradition should dictate the menu, not some gringo. The girls made 6 or 7 hundred tamales and we consumed 500 for breakfast. Many people came in their pajamas, ate and went back home and probably back to bed. A great Christmas morning. David and Luzma came and David and I were able to play and sing a few Christmas carols. It was cool, He sang in Spanish and I sang in English at the same time.
   Paula gave out all the gifts she had wrapped for many of our friends that had come and we delivered the rest as we headed out of the colonia towards home. Mimi and Caleb , naturally got the most gifts, and most of those were toys and stuff donated and Paula just wraps them up for the kids.
  An awesome day followed by an awesome evening spent at Scott and Joanna Mathew house in Texas. Turkey, ham sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and  desserts to die for. We laughed a lot and watched a couple of old movies, before heading home to see Shadow our lonely cat.

No comments: